Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Stories that will pull on your heart strings....


Hello everyone! Well again I want to apologize because I have fallen horribly behind with blogging, but I promise to get you all updated.

These past few weeks I was actually out of country and back in the states, but I don’t want to give too much away about that in this blog.
Warning there are pictures they aren't to bad, but if  you don't like that type of stuff I would not look!!

I am going to tell you about some medical cases I am working on here in Haiti. I am working alongside with Sister Jackie and Katie on two specific cases. We have one little boy who has been being taking care of before we got here in September. His name is Judlie (Spelling maybe a little off). Back in June he got his foot caught in a motorcycle and it got ripped up pretty badly. They sent him to the hospital in a near town to have a skin graph done. When we arrived here in August I knew nothing about the little boy, until I went to visit the Village. As I was walking along the road to get there I had a women come up to me and tell me her child hurt his foot. I told her ok take me to him and let me see. When we got there the mother took me to her son and I couldn’t believe what I saw. He was on crutches and the foot was just covered in dirt. It had no bandage or anything wrapped around it. I sat the boy down and began to look at it and discovered he still had the staples in. I literally wanted to burst in tears because I thought that there was no way he would be able to keep his foot. It was so infected and the bugs were swarming it. Katie and I were thinking of ways to cover it, but we had nothing on us at that moment. So I told the mother she needs to visit our house and talk with Sister Jackie. After we had left the village and returned home we filled Sister Jackie in on the foot. She said she would be more than willing to take a look at it. The next day the mother and boy both showed up at our house. Brittany, a past volunteer, was still here and examined the boy’s foot. She saw how the staples were still in it, and how infected it was. We all knew we had do something or this boy could lose his foot. We made an appointment for the boy to come back to the house for Brittany to take out the staples, and to begin treating it. I was so excited to be helping Brittany with the little boy. When he came back to have the staples out it wasn’t so pleasant. We couldn’t even find all the staples, and we didn’t know if they got buried in his skin or just fell out. Brittany looked and looked, but we didn’t end up finding all of them. She cleaned and debriefed the wound as best as she could without making him scream in pain. You couldn’t even touch his foot without him crying or being in pain. My heart broke for the little guy. After she cleaned out we wrapped it in gauze and put an ace bandage around it. We then made him wear a man’s sock on top of that for extra cushioning. Brittany then set up days for the boy to come back so we could continue to clean it. I helped Brittany with the cleanings and learned how to do everything properly, because she would be leaving Haiti soon. We cleaned the boy’s foot around every other day until the one wound on his heel completely closed. By the time Brittany left his foot looked amazing, expect for one concern. The top of his foot wasn’t closing, the hole was getting bigger. I kept cleaning his foot and bandaging it, but finally we decided to send him back to the doctors to see what they thought. Well here in Haiti you don’t always get what you want from the doctors, and sure enough we didn’t get the info we needed. I continued to send pictures to Brittany back in the states, and she had people look at the boy’s foot. They gave us advice on what to continue doing for him. We continued to clean it and wrap it, but we still weren’t getting the results we wanted. It was now my time to go home for a few weeks, and Katie would continue to look after the boy. When I had returned I heard that his foot had reopened on the back, and the front still wasn’t closing properly. When I heard his foot reopened on the back of his heel, I wanted to puke. The back of his heel before I left looked amazing and it was completely closed up. It was pretty upsetting to heart his news, but all we could do was hope for the best. While Katie and I were in the states we picked up some medicine, and bath soaks for his foot. I was excited to see what his foot really looked like when I got back. He came to our house the next day I returned, and we changed his dressings. I was a little nervous to see what was under them, but when we took them his foot looked amazing. His heel had closed back up, and the top was starting to shrink. I was so happy, and wanted to scream for joy. This poor boy has been like this first months and I want him to be able to start walking again soon. We started using the soaks on his foot and we still are wrapping it up in the gauze. We are hoping in maybe three weeks we can slowly start to get him back on his foot, but we also know this is going to process. He has lost all muscle in that leg, and when I saw all muscle I mean ALL THE MUSCLE. I am very concerned on how he will do with gaining the strength back and with putting pressure on the foot, but again all we can do is hope for the best. So I ask you all to keep him in your prayers so that his healing process will continue to go well.


(This is Judlie)
                Another story I am going to tell about is a little boy by the name of Schnider. Now this child is a little spitball. He is probably one of the happiest children here in Haiti. He is a preschooler and one of thirteen in his family. For a week at school I had noticed that he had bumps all over his neck. I kept coming home and telling Katie that something was wrong, but I had no idea what. Then one day it all the pieces all fell together. I had gone to school like any other morning, but when I reached the gate I had one his little sisters running up to me saying how sick he was. I made them go get him and when I saw him I didn’t even know what to say. His neck was all cut open and oozing. I gathered my thoughts and immediately started to clean it out. Now I thought for sure when I started to clean out that he would cry, but this little guy had the biggest smile on his face the whole time. I couldn’t even believe it. After we were finished cleaning it out we tried to cover it as best as we could, and I thought we did a pretty good job. We sent him back to class, but it didn’t even take 5 minutes and the cover was back on his neck. I went to talk to Met Leny, the principal, and told him what was going on. The teacher, Met Leny, and all agreed the little boy should not be in school. Met Leny called the boys older sister in to his office to explain to her what was going on. The sister said that the mother sent him to school because she knew I had money and would take care of him. I had no idea what to say because of course I want to help him, but I don’t have that kind of money to help everyone here. If I did I would help everyone that needed it. I felt horrible and I knew that the family had no means of helping themselves. Met Leny explained to the girl that is not my job and just because I am white doesn’t mean I have money to hand out. The girl seemed to understand and told him that she would tell her mother. They both left the office and I felt pretty miserable after that. I knew if I didn’t get the boy medicine his infection would get worse, and honestly who knows he could have died from it. When I went home I sat down with Sister Jackie and told her the story. She told me she would give me the medicine to take out to the child. She explained to me what to tell the parents and for them how to use the medicine on the little boy. Katie and I grabbed a motto and out we went. We told the parents they had to use and that it was vitally important for the child. They were so grateful and reassured us that they would use it. I was pretty nervous because again this happened right before I was leaving so I had no idea if they would actually use it, but the AMAZING NEWS is that they did. The little boy ran up to me at school and was so happy. He showed me his neck and it looks perfect. I was so excited and filled with pure happiness. Its cases like this that make you feel as if you are truly helping someone. I try never to take these small feeling of excitement for granted because these are the moments we need to hold on to in life.  

(This is schnider with the kin fungus and still smiling)
 

                One last medical story I want to share with you all is about a little girl. I had nothing to do with her specifically, but our sisters did. I do know the little girl because she had participated in Kan Klodin the past year I was here. She came to our house with her uncle and her mother. She has a huge growth on her arm I would say the size of a basketball. So the sisters had her sent to a special hospital in PAP. This hospital is so hard to get into and you are usually put on a waiting list, but they got her in right away. The Doctors had told the mother the child needs surgery and they need to run tests on the growth, so they mother called her father. Now in Haiti to give some background on this the Father of the family is the leader of the house hold, so what he says goes. The mother called the father and told him they advised her to have surgery on their little girl, and the fathers response was No. He said along the lines of “We can have another child, we are not paying for her to have the surgery.” So in other words they can just make a new child, and to let this little girl die.  If the mother does not listen to her husband she will be completely cut off, meaning that the husband will have nothing to do with her. The sisters tried to advise the mother otherwise, but she decided to listen to her husband. We have no news to weather the girl is dead or still alive.

                These three specific cases I hold near and dear to my heart because I know this children pretty well. It kills me to see them surviving because their parents cannot care for them in the proper way, or they have family issues holding them back from seeking the right medical attention. I wish there was more I could do for them, but at the end of the day I can only hope an pray for the best. I ask all of you to keep our children in your thoughts and prayers. I hope you enjoyed reading this blog and I will be posting another one in a few days! I really do mean IN A FEW DAYS! I PROMISE!

 

Also, please feel free to contact me at 40ratke@gmail.com if you would like more information or just to hear more stories about what I am specifically doing here in Haiti.

 

Love always,

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment