Tuesday, February 10, 2015

To be away from the ones I love.


A surprise for my mom and dad on Christmas day! I love you both so much, and thanks for always supporting me no matter what.
Bonjour Mwen Zamni! I hope you are all staying warm back in the states with all the snow you just received. It’s actually been a little chilly here in Haiti the past few days believe it or not. Now, many people have been asking me what Christmas, and New Year’s was like here in Haiti, so I am going to fill you in.

        Being in Haiti this Christmas was pretty difficult for me to be honest. I returned back to Haiti on the first of December, and it just didn’t feel right. It was cold in the states, people were putting up Christmas trees, and lights were hanging from houses. We didn’t really have any of this here in Haiti. We had some houses decorated with lights, which was nice to see, but nothing compared to what we do in the states. The whole month of December here in Haiti just felt like another month to be honest. It didn’t feel like anything special, as we make it in the states. We don’t have cold weather, we don’t have snow, we don’t have Christmas music blasting from stores, and the list can go on. Now, it’s not that in Haiti people don’t celebrate Christmas because they do, but just in a different way, and honestly New Years is more important to them.




          Christmas to the Haitian people isn’t all about decorations, gifts, and partying. It’s about Jesus’s birthday, and spending time with their loved ones. At school I would always ask the kids are you excited for Christmas, and they would just say “Yes.” In school during the month of December the kids would talk about Christmas, and do some small activities for the holiday. The principal drew out Christmas trees, and Ton Ton Noel’s (Which is Santa Claus in Creole) for the children to color. It was pretty interesting to see the way he drew out Santa, because it was much different from the way we do in the states. He was skinny, had a beard, and a funny looking shaped hat. The kids loved it though, and that’s how they know Santa Claus. Besides those activities they didn’t really do much at school, but we did introduce something fun this year to the kids. We decided to take Christmas photos, while saying thank you to all of the people who have supported our children, and who still do. The kids were so excited, and loved every minute of it. We picked some of the children to have their pictures taken with the Santa Claus hat as well. It honestly was beautiful. It was wonderful being able to capture their amazing smiles, and to see them having fun for the Christmas holiday. School ended about a week before Christmas day, and one big Christmas present the kids received was their report card marks for the second semester. All the parents had to come and meet the teachers to see if their child had passed or not. For me this was pretty difficult because some of my favorite children pass, and some did not. This was a nice Christmas present for me though because I got to see all the kids’ hard work pay off, even if they didn’t pass, because I know deep down those children are really trying. With having off a week before Christmas our house decided to hang up our Christmas decorations because we were hosting a Christmas party. Now, you may think it would be so easy to decorate here in Haiti, but NO!!!! It was such a pain in the butt because we had to hang things up with duct tape outside, and nothing wanted to stick. I would hang up the decoration, and boom not one second later, and it was on the ground. So, we then decided to nicely place it on the lower level of our balcony, where it at least stayed up for a few days. We also decorated a small, of course fake Christmas tree.

It's one of the hardest things being away from the one you love, but I surprised him with this on Christmas day.
 
 It was nice though to at least be able to have one, but this was hard for me. I missed having a real big tree, and having the scent of pine through my whole house. I missed being able to decorate the tree with my family, and having it be a Ratke family hot mess. It just wasn’t the same not having us all together, but it made me realize that all of us are going in different directions which is part of growing up as well. One thing that killed me as well was not being able to spend Christmas with not only my family, but my boyfriend as well. It was our first time being together for Christmas, and we of course wanted to be spend the day together, as we do every day. It really hit me hard being away from him, and knocked me down for a few days. I love being here in Haiti, and sharing in these experiences with everyone, but I miss him more than I can ever express into words. It’s one of the hardest things in the world to be separated from the ones you love more than life itself. Some people ask me how do I do it? ,and honestly I don’t have an answer. It’s beyond hard, but I know that our love for each other will overcome all. As I said earlier as much as I love these experiences here in Haiti, I also cannot wait to be able to be with my boyfriend, and family as well.  So don’t let me fool that I am so strong, an amazing person, because there are days that I feel like I could just cry all day long. What gets me through is knowing that I do have his support, along with everyone else’s. I truly am one lucky women to have the love, and support behind me despite how hard it can be for them to see me here. Now, that you got to hear a little more into my emotional life. I am going to tell you about a party we held a few days before Christmas, and then I will get to of course the best day ever!



          We typically don’t throw house parties here at Kay Jezi Mari, but this year we decided too. We invited all the sisters, and priests. We were all part of the planning in some way. Sister Pat, and Sister Jackie both did a lot of the cooking. Elisa, Frankie, and I did the decorating. Elisa did most of it though because she has the best taste. It turned out beautiful, and we were all so excited to have everyone come. The food turned out amazing. We had turkey, mash potatoes, vegetables, and then of course Haitian food. That wasn’t the best though! We made cakes, and a bunch of cookies, and I have to say I am pretty proud because I helped bake those cookies. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves sharing in conversation, dancing, and just having some Christmas fun. It was a wonderful time all around!

          The next few days went pretty fast, and it was finally Christmas day here in Haiti. To be honest though it just didn’t feel right for me. I didn’t have my middle brother, Patrick, coming in my room screaming wake up! Wake up! , and we didn’t get to go and get our big brother up, and have him pissed at us for getting him up. It just wasn’t the same not being able to be with everyone. Although, here in Haiti Frankie was the first one up, and ready to go. She wanted to open presents so bad, but everyone else wanted to wait. So we had to wait to that night to open everything. It was honestly a normal day no Christmas music, no snow, no anything. It was a normal day of just relaxing. Then finally it was time to open gifts. It was so much fun because we had all gotten each other something, and it had meaning to that specific person. Frankie got Katie and I sneakers painted with Haitian scenes. They are absolutely beautiful, and a true piece of Haitian art. Sister Jackie and Sister Pat got us all metal artwork. Each piece was specifically for us. I got children dancing around Haiti, and I love it. Katie did such a great job with gifts! She made each of us handmade ornaments, and got us other things. The ornaments are absolutely amazing. It was such a fun time opening gifts, and spending time together. The whole day was relaxing for us, and everyone enjoyed themselves.

          So now here you have it a look into who I felt on Christmas day, and what our Christmas was like here in Haiti. It was definitely an experience I will never forget, but I cannot wait to spend it with my boyfriend, and family next year.
 

Be on the lookout for my next blog about New Year’s and our travels!!!!

 
P.S:. As I said in an earlier blog I want to build a playground for our children. It’s a big undertaking, but we all know that is going to be absolutely wonderful for our children. Now, with this being said this project cannot come true without the help of all of you. If you go to http://www.rjm-us.org/partners/quest.html and look in the blue box to the right you will see contribute to RJM. You will click on that link and it will take you to the RJM fundraising page. Then in the RJM Haiti Fund you will see where it talks about the Haiti playground project, to read about it you will click on the “Click Here” button, and it will give you the story about the playground. Once you have looked at the story you can click “Donate Now”, and it will take you to the page on where to donate. When you are donating to the Haiti playground fund you just have specifically put in the box that it is for this project. We greatly appreciate any donation you make for the playground, and remember no donation is too small. If you cannot make a donation please pass on our story to others. We truly appreciate anything and everything you can do!

       

                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment