Saturday, April 11, 2015

I’ll see you on the other side.


Good afternoon everyone! I hope you all enjoyed my last blog, and that it gave you some insight in to how tough life can be some days. This blog is actually going to do the same just on a different topic.

          Well as we you all know people die every day. It’s just part of life, and we can’t change it. I knew going to Haiti I would hear of people dying, but I never thought I would know the people personally. Before we came to Haiti, there was a little girl being taken care of by the sisters. Her name was Keuttra. I knew her because her she had been in Kan Klodin when I was a counselor back in 2013. Her uncle was one of the counselors, and he had helped me out a lot. She was such a sweetheart, and she was so shy. She cuddled up to her uncle all the time. When I came back for the year I had heard the news that she was sick, and our sisters were doing everything to help her. I had no idea what was wrong with her until her uncle brought her to the house, and one of our past volunteers took pictures to show me. She had a huge growth on her arm, and it was the size of a basketball. I couldn’t believe it. She couldn’t even hold her arm up on her own. She had it all wrapped up in a little white sling. Sister Jackie, and Sister Pat got her in to one of the best hospitals in PAP. They paid for everything for the little girl, and family. The family traveled to the hospital, and had to consult doctors. Now, I was not there or with the family, so what we heard was all by word of mouth. The doctors meant with the family, and told the mother that they needed to amputate the little girls arm. The mother then had to call the father of the little girl to get permission for the doctor to do the surgery. Now, again I was not there to hear this conversation, but supposedly the father said “No, we can make another child. She could die either way.” So the mother then had to make the decision to obey the father, or go against him. She decided to listen to him, because if she didn’t he would stop supporting her in every way. She brought the little girl home, and that was it. We were all pretty upset with her decision, but you have to respect the culture here in Haiti. We didn’t hear much of anything about the girl, but then I decided to ask her uncle. I would ask him every other day how she was doing, and he would usually say she was hanging in there. I knew that wasn’t a good sign, so I told him I would come to visit her. Of course I was nervous because I had no idea what she looked like at this point. I told him on Monday of that specific week I would come Tuesday, but then of course I got busy. I then told him Wednesday, and I promised I would be there right after school. Well Wednesday came, and I went to the school, and was doing work outside of a classroom. He came up to me and I said” How are you? I am coming to visit her today.” He looked at me, and said “No, she’s gone, and I said “Where is she?” He looked at me, and responded “She died, and is at the morgue.” I was shocked, I felt like I could have thrown up right at that moment. I mean are you kidding me? I was going to see her that day! Then I had a million thoughts running through my head. Why didn’t I go on Monday? Could I have saved her life? Why didn’t I see her when she came back? The list of questions can go on. I honestly felt as if a piece of my heart had been ripped out and stomped on over, and over again. An innocent little girl lost her life, and she had no say in it. I decided to go to the funeral to show my respect to the family, but I didn’t know how I would react to her father. The funeral was during the week on an afternoon. I went with Katie, and Sister Pat. The church was pretty crowded with people. Now, funerals in Haiti are much different than in the states. People do something that is called “Wailing.” Wailing is literally were someone is whining, and sobbing. It honestly is horrific, and just gives you the chills when your around it. Most people who wail, can make themselves pass out because they are so upset, and at this funeral a lot of people were wailing. I thought I was going to have to walk out, but I held it together, and set through the whole thing. The only time I felt like I was going to be sick was when they carried the little coffin right by me. It shock me up pretty well because I knew that little girl was in there. Having gone through this experience left lasting footprints on my heart. I will never forget Keuttra, and I hope she is having the time of her life up in heaven.

          Now, you would think one death would be enough, but no it didn’t work that way. After having experienced Keuttra’s death not a week later did we experience it again. Katie, and I had gone out to the village to spend time with the children. Katie had disappeared, and then one child grabbed me, and said I needed to go to where Katie was. They had grabbed Katie, and I into a home where a sick man was laying on the ground. There were probably 15 people shoved into the house telling us multiple different stories. Katie said she couldn’t get much out of them, so I tried. I asked the same questions, and they just kept saying his legs were swollen, he couldn’t eat, or move that well. We told them that they really needed to take him to the hospital, but of course we got we don’t have any money. We told them that the hospital won’t turn people done who are severely sick. They just looked at us, and we knew they wanted us to do everything for them. We couldn’t though. We offered to leave the family with water, and we then told them they could come to the house, and talk with Sister Pat. The man truly didn’t look that sick. He was talking, and drinking a little. I mean he was laying on the ground, but if you were to tell me that man was going to die in 3 days I would have told you that you’re crazy. We left the house, and came back home. We told Sister Pat what had happened, and that they would probably come to visit her. To no surprise a young women came. Sister Pat gave her a slip to take him to the hospital to help them pay for medical expenses. Maybe two hours later the women came back, and told Sister Pat he had died. He didn’t even make it to the hospital. When Sister Pat told us this story, we were shocked! I mean are you kidding me? How does this happen twice in not even two weeks? Again, I just wanted to throw up! I felt so besides myself. I felt like I was failing these people. That I wasn’t helping anyone at all. I just wanted to break down, and cry. I held it together though, and put it in the back of my head. I mean what else could I do? When people die here it’s not like it is in the states. People mourn, but it’s different. They don’t put their lives on hold, the next day they are back to their normal routine trying to survive in this country. So that’s what we did. We put it in the back of our heads, and moved on.

          Now, you would think that two would be it, but nope. It just kept coming our way. That dark, gloomy, cloud I swear was following us. This death didn’t hit me as hard as it did our hospital community. Katie, and I had gone to the hospital one week to get some information. We meant a nice, older doctor there, and he helped us get the information we needed. He told us he would be leaving for the weekend, but would be back the following week if we needed anything. He, and another doctor went down to PAP for something. We heard that while they were in PAP the one doctor had gotten out of the car, and was on his cellphone. While he was on his cellphone, we heard that a robbery had taken place. The robberies saw him on his cellphone, and they must have thought he was calling the police, and they shot him. I am not sure where they shot him, but they killed him. We had found out the news later that day, and we couldn’t believe it. I mean honestly how many deaths can one person deal with? You don’t have to know them for it to make a huge impact on your heart. It really was starting to get to me that people we knew were just starting to pass away left, and right. Another young man was taken from this earth way too soon.



RIP to the cutest little girl.
 
 Well you already know what I am going to say, and yeap believe it! The little boy that is my whole entire world here in Haiti, had a little baby half-sister that had been born a few months ago. She was absolutely stunning! The mother would let us hold her, and feed her. She truly was a perfect little angel. Although, she did have a horrible cough, and we knew it wasn’t good. We encouraged her to go the hospital, but we knew she probably didn’t have money to pay for it, but thank God we had a mobile clinic that was pretty cheap. She decided to go, and the doctors took a look at her. We don’t think they found anything to alarming, because they didn’t send her on to the hospital. They gave her the normal medicine, and that was it. We saw her every day, and she still had that cough. Then one Saturday afternoon I headed down to the school, and LeLe came running up to me. He told me that is little step sister had passed away, and didn’t know what to say. I was pretty confused to be honest, and I just couldn’t believe it. I made him to make to his house to see it for myself. When I got there I heard the mother crying inside of the house, I was pretty nervous to go in, but they wanted to me. I walked in and asked her about the baby. She told me that they baby had passed away, and was already buried. I couldn’t believe it. I honestly wanted to pass out. I thought really why God? Why are you doing this to me? Why are you allowing for all this innocent people, ad children to die? The thoughts ran through my head for days. I of course never got an answer.

          These deaths honestly all have left a different footprint on my heart that will last a lifetime. To be honest in a way it has harden my heart, and soften it. It has harden my heart in the way that when people complain about life being so hard I just want to freak out. When people complain about hospitals being horrible, and the doctors suck. It kills me it makes me want to become a nasty person, and tell them to go experience medical attention in a third world country. I know it’s horrible to become this person, and I try not to be, but some days it really is hard. I mean death isn’t an easy situation in any case. These deaths have soften my heart in way that showed me how life is truly so precious. It showed me that you never know when someone could just pass away. How one day a person is alive, and doing wonderful then the next they are dead. It has taught me to live my life each day with no regret, because you never know when your time is going to be up. I have learned some valuable lessons here in Haiti, and these are definitely some of them. You have to know in the end that you can’t save every life. That people are going to die, and you have to entrust in God that he had a greater plan for them. Trust me I know it’s hard, and there are days I question my own faith, but in the end I know it will be ok.

 

I hope you all enjoyed, and will be on the lookout for my next blog.

 

Love always, Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment