Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hearing a child's heartbeat for the first time!


 



I’m back!! Hello everyone I first off went to apologize for the delay in my posts, but I am so excited to fill you in on everything. Just to give you heads up I am going to do a few short posts to catch you up in my life.

                My last post left off with Laura and I’s meeting with the monitors for her literacy program, and well a lot has happened since then. I have gotten to experience some pretty amazing things here in Haiti and this next story will always have a special place in my heart. On Tuesday afternoon we were going to take a journey up in to the mountains of Haiti to visit a clinic that is ran by a wonderful women, before we started this journey we stopped at our local hospital. We stopped at the hospital to pick up the medical group because they actually needed to visit the clinic, but when we got to the hospital we heard there was an emergency in the pediatric center. Brittany asked if we wanted to go check it out, so we walked up to the hospital. Now, you have to understand a hospital in Haiti compared to a hospital in the United States does not even come close to comparing. In the United Sates you have HIPPA and people just can’t walk in to other patient’s room, well it’s much different here. Brittany brought us right in to the pediatric center and I have to say for me personally my heart sank. To see all the little children in my eyes struggling for their lives virtually ripped a piece of my heart out, but the next thing that happened showed me how precious life truly is. There was a little child laying helplessly in her mother’s arms and she was hooked up to an oxygen machine. Brittany asked if I wanted to hear her breath, so I bent down and listened to the little one struggling. At this moment it showed me how truly precious life is, and how lucky we are back in the states to have the medical facilities we do. I know I hear multiple people complain about hospitals and doctors, well my advice to everyone is just remember how blessed we are to have the hospital care we do because people in other parts of the world are not as lucky. After we left the hospital we started our journey up to the clinic and let me tell you it was a roller coaster ride. I thought I was going to just fly right out of the car. It was about an hour ride and when we reached the clinic I was never so happy in my life to have my feet back on solid ground. I got out of the car and I could tell my stomach was up in my throat and I knew I was going to toss my cookies at moment, but I walked in the clinic with everyone else to see what it was like. Well not even 5 minutes in and I was running back out the door to throw up those cookies haha. I then walked back in and got to experience something else that was amazing. They brought a mother in and had her lay down on the tale. The mother was pregnant so they rolled up her shirt and used a machine to listen to the baby’s heartbeat. It was amazing!! I have never heard a child’s heartbeat still inside the mother wombs, so you could say I was on cloud 9! Now, you may not all believe this but the machine used was probably ancient years old, and you would never see it being in used in the U.S. It was such an amazing day to say the least and it truly made me see how precious life is.

Then bomb the next day I turned the big 23!! I didn’t know what it would be like to experience my birthday in Haiti, but I have to say it was fun. The day started out as normal going to class and doing some things around the house. Then later on I got to visit my little guy which made the day great! He ran right into my arms and wished me a happy birthday with the biggest birthday hug and kiss. It was fun to be able to celebrate my special day with all the little ones. Then I came back home talked to my family and just hung out, but as I was hanging out I knew something was going on. Katie was running in and out of the room and Laura wouldn’t let me sit with her. Well the big surprise was Katie and Frankie got gifts for me in the US and brought them to Haiti, It was the sweetest thing ever and let me tell you they knew me great already. Laura and Brittany also baked a wonderful cake for me with sprinkles on top! So I have to say my birthday was a lot of fun and to end the night we got to go to Panic Beach, so as much as I missed my family, friends, and boyfriend I did have a wonderful day!

After having a wonderful birthday I then got hit with the news that Laura would be leaving sooner than we had expected, and this really hit me heard. Laura and I became great friends back in 2013 when we did camp together here in Haiti. She has been one of my back bones and I obviously did not want her to leave me, but I knew it was for the best. So I went with her and we said some goodbyes to her friends and the kids. The next day we took off on our journey to PAP to send her back off to the U.S. We got up around 6:30 am and had a nice long drive. When we reached PAP the streets were filled with people and everyone was heading off to do something. We got to the airport and this was the moment I had been dreading! I had to say my see you soon to one of my best friends! I held back the tears because I know we will see each other again. I wish you could all have a chance to meet my friend Laura and hear of the wonderful projects she undertook while in Haiti. She is one of the most inspirational people I know and as much as she thinks she may not had made a difference she did. I am beyond proud of her and I can’t wait to see were this next journey in her life takes her.

After we left the airport Tiden and I started our journey around PAP. I had the duty to get groceries and run to the pharmacy to pick up medicine to bring back to Gros-Morne. When we reached the grocery store Tiden looked at me and gave me this look that said “Ok I’ll wait here for you, go on and do the shopping”, well that did not happen. I asked him to come with me because I had no idea were to even start in the store. You may all ask what a grocery store even looks like here in Haiti, but I would compare it to a smaller Weis. It is pretty up scale and has American food. When we got in the store I had no idea even were to start because I didn’t what isle had what, and that’s where the fun started. I kept asking the man who worked at the store where is this or do you have this? He virtually stayed right by my side the whole time ahaha. We got everything we needed, but it took a while. After we left the store we headed to the pharmacy to get the medicine and this time I was on my own. I walked up to the door and I tried to get in and almost fell on my butt because it was looked, but then all of a sudden a police officer opened it from the inside. So just a little side note of information for you virtually every store that contains important products has police officers as guards. I walked in and headed in the order and waited. I then got called up to the window and they said something to me, but I couldn’t tell you what it was if I wanted to. Finally, the women looked at me and started speaking English and I figured out what she was asking me for. I then picked up the medicine and headed out. After that he asked me if I wanted to stop anywhere and I really wanted to look for a Haitian headband, so we headed back to where the capitol building stood. There are probably over 30 vendors lined up alongside the road selling all kinds of little treasures. We parked the care and started walking towards them and instantly I had 5 people in my face asking me to buy their product. I just kept saying “No thank you, I want a headband.” We looked everywhere for one, but we had no luck. We hoped back in the car and we headed to another spot that was by the airport. We got out and looked again, but of course no one had a headband. A women came up with one of the small Haitian flags and explained that it could be used as one, but Tiden wasn’t very convinced on that idea. I told him “Yes, I’ll try it”, and so I did. I decided to buy it and use it as a headband. After a fun filled day of traveling and exploring in PAP it was time to head back home. On the way home we had beautiful drive. The view in Haiti is amazing and absolutely breathtaking! The mountains are endless and the rice fields are everywhere. The small houses are so peacefully placed everywhere. I wish I could bring this view and show it to everyone back home because it truly is stunning. When we reached back home I was ready to crash.

The next few days were pretty simple and went by so fast.  We had class every morning and we were still adjusting to learning things around the house. We went down and visited the school a lot and get to hang out with the little ones, which is always a blast for me. Time truly does fly by when you’re having a blast!

Now as you can read from this blog it really was my transitioning time and getting to experience some pretty awesome things, but my next blog my catch you off guard! And if you want to know what I mean be on the lookout for it!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment